Graphic designs are an integral part of society. From billboards on malls to landing pages of apps, visual communication is a part of modern life. It is also an essential tool for businesses to go attract their customers. If you are a creative amateur graphic designer who can convey stories to the common people in a visually engaging manner, then you can take it up as a career.
An average graphic designer earns around $45000-47000 during the initial phases. The figures can go up with experience and portfolio. With passion, adaptability, and persistence this can be a lucrative path.
As a graphic designer, you can work on projects as a freelancer, join the firm as a specialist designer, or be an entrepreneur. But that is not all, there are abundant other opportunities to earn. We are presenting you with the many ways to earn as a graphic designer.
Turn your knowledge into income
Creativity or expertise in a field is not gifted to all. Therefore, many would be interested in taking up courses. Especially in recent times, online learning has skyrocketed and people of all ages will learn new things. There are several platforms like Udemy, Skillshare, Coursera, etc. where you can teach your curated courses and earn. With the right marketing and sustained efforts, you can easily make thousands of dollars per month. Online teaching is the best way too. This is because your talent is a priority over your qualifications.
Another way to share your knowledge is to conduct workshops. There are several exclusive places where you can organize workshops. You can conduct workshops in colleges, schools, companies, and malls during their cultural and corporate events. Although workshops need investment, it is a great way to earn quick money and gain habitués.
Leverage on Passive Income
As a creative professional you the internet is a big boon. Even when you are asleep, your designs make bucks. Passive income is the most reliable and predictable form of earning income chiefly for graphic designers.
Tips for passive income
- Build a loyal audience: There are many ways to attract an audience for the work you do. But to retain them for the long-term is difficult. Do your best across social media platforms and content websites to create a name for yourself.
- Leverage the power of social media and content marketing: Post often on social media platforms and engage with your audience regularly. By doing so, you’ll get a lot of ideas and understand what consumers look for. Consistency is the key. If you can devote time to create expert content for social media and interact more, it can wonder for you. Platforms like Pinterest and Instagram are business-friendly as you add the link to your website and peddle your illustrations, printables, cards, etc. to customers globally. After gaining a respectable number of followers, you can make use of ads to fuel your reach.
- Upcycle your artwork: Well if you are a designer who loves to create arts on a routine basis or if you have designs that were rejected by your clients, modify them, and sell them online. Ideally, upcycling graphic design is also the best to earn passive income as a beginner.
- Be an Affiliate: Recommend your favorite tools, templates, products to fellow designers or your network by adding affiliate links on Instagram, LinkedIn, or WhatsApp groups, etc.
Find ways and sites to sell your design on the internet
Selling your graphic designs online is also a method to earn passively. But we want to discuss this in a separate section because being a seller is a gigantic task by itself.
If you are selling real products: t-shirts, phone cases, stationeries, etc., then make use of platforms like Amazon Handmade, Etsy, and Wix. In case if you want graphics to make money on your templates, we recommend Freepik, Graphic River, Canva, and Design hill.
- Be clear on what you want to sell
- Set goals and targets
- Track the updates and orders regularly
- Compare and contrast the websites to the best prices and offers
- Devise marketing strategies to attract an audience.
- Be present on social media and have a website with a lot of content to boost your credibility
- Optimize your sites often
- Separate business accounts from personal ones
- Respond to your customers quickly, be friendly and patient
- Create affiliate and collaborate with influencers programs to get better reach
Clearly, graphic designers have a plethora of options to make money. But you have been realistic while scaling your career. Don’t try to do two things at once. Be responsible and accountable. Have plans, deadlines, goals, and stick to them. Ensure you are conforming to legal procedures; be it income tax filing or legal contracts.
Most importantly, stay relevant to popular trends and never stop learning new things. A door of opportunities awaits you!